UNESCO Chair in Technologies for Development: Voices of the Global South
27-29 June 2018 | SwissTech Convention Centre | EPFL, Lausanne, Switzerland
2018 UNESCO Chair Conference on Technologies for Development:
Voices of the Global South
27-29 June 2018 | EPFL, Lausanne, Switzerland
Tech4Dev 2018 International Conference
The UNESCO Chair in Technologies for Development hosted by the Cooperation & Development Center (CODEV) at the École Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne (EPFL) in Switzerland is pleased to announce the 5th International Conference on Technologies for Development (Tech4Dev 2018) taking place from 27-29 June 2018 at the SwissTech Convention Center in Lausanne, Switzerland.
The Conference in a Nutshell
The Tech4Dev Conference is the biennial flagship event of the UNESCO Chair in Technologies for Development hosted by CODEV at EPFL. The Conference focuses on the potential of technology solutions to advance inclusive social and economic development in the Global South.Tech4Dev 2018 puts the challenges and the potential of the Global South in the center of discussions reflected by its title Voices of the Global South. Indeed, even though the Sustainable Development Goals apply globally, the needs in terms of access to health and financial services, functioning education systems and sustainable urban and natural ecosystems are undeniably more significant in the Global South. In this perspective, it is crucial to listen to and support stakeholders from the regions who are facing these challenges
Tech4Dev provides an opportunity to:
- Present your research at a unique multidisciplinary Conference focused on innovative technology for social impact in the Global South.
- Network across disciplines and fields of technology, to promote the development, deployment, adaptation, and scaling of new solutions for the Global South.
- Identify opportunities for collaboration with diverse stakeholders – academics, students, engineers, entrepreneurs, policymakers, practitioners, and social scientists- interested in technological innovation in the Global South.
- Participate in the fabulous social event of the conference that will take place in the Lavaux Vineyards, a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
- Build capacity among students and young professionals to engage in multidisciplinary problem solving for social impact.Network across disciplines and fields of technology, to promote the development, deployment, adaptation, and scaling of new solutions for the Global South.
The Conference’s focus in centered around the following Core Thematic Areas and Crosscutting Themes:
- Technologies for Humanitarian Action
- Medical Technologies
- Science and Technology for Disaster Risk Reduction
- Technologies for Sustainable Access to Energy
- ICT for Development
- Technologies for Sustainable Habitat and Cities
- Strengthening the research-policy nexus in the implementation of the SDGs
- Opportunities and Challenges in Quality (Rigorous) Impact Evaluations: Lessons from the academia and the field
- Development Engineering: Training Global Engineers
- Open science: an opportunity for the global south?
- Heart Money – the role of venture capitalism in enabling social outcomes
- Blockchain and the BoP: a disruptive technology for economic inclusion?
- Development Engineering in the Private Sector
- Building bridges among global high-tech hubs in the African context